Monday, August 29, 2011
:CONTEMPORARY JEWELLERY WORKSHOP
Zoe Crowder graduated from RMIT with a Bachelor of Fine Art, majoring in Gold and Silversmithing, in 2001. Pursuing her practise, Zoe exhibited both locally and nationally. Eventually this would lead her overseas. Zoe took her skills to Laos, where she was a design advisor and trainer working for a Lao silversmithing company in the capital city of Vientiane. This experience helped Zoe realise how much her immediate environment influenced her design ideas and her overall approach to her craft.
On her return to Australia she moved her studio to the banks of the Yarra River at the Abbotsford Convent. Since 2007 her chosen environment has been Darwin in the Northern Territory where Zoe now balances her making with teaching.
In this workshop you will spend the day composing and constructing your own piece of jewellery in the relaxed environment of Zoe's own workshop at DVAA.
Using components that Zoe has collected over the years of being a jeweller/silversmith, you will piece together a necklace/bracelet using simple jeweller techniques. (There will be opportunity to embark on more challenging techniques if you desire)
When: Saturday, 10th of September, 10am – 3pm (Lunch provided)
Where: In Zoe's studio work space at DVAA (Frog Hollow Centre for the Arts)
What to bring: Special charm or bead that you would like to incorporate into your piece (Optional)
What to wear: something comfortable that you don't mind getting dirty and closed in shoes
How much: $160 (This includes materials – sterling silver chain and clasps, semi precious beads etc.)
Proposals for DVAA's exhibition program 2012 are now open.
Darwin Visual Arts Association Inc. is a community based organisation dedicated to supporting the production, promotion and appreciation of Visual Art by local artists in all media, as well as increasing public awareness and audience participation in contemporary visual art in Darwin. As an Artists Run Initiative (ARI), DVAA provides young and emerging artists affordable exhibition space and promotional support through local and national art networks.
Proposals for Woods Street and DEAF Space Galleries
Exhibitions will occur each calendar month and will run for 3 weeks (Wed – Sat) and 4 weekends (Sat only) allowing for one week installation time (Tue – Fri) opening on the first Friday of each month.
- Woods Street Gallery hire cost is $150 Per Wk, $450 plus $100 bond refundable after gallery has been returned to its original condition and the keys have been returned. Total payable on signing of agreement $550
- DEAF Space Gallery hire cost is $80 Per Wk, $240 plus $100 bond refundable after the gallery has been returned ti it’s original condition and the keys have been returned. Total payable on signing of agreement $340
Artists are responsible for the following costs
1. Design, printing and postage of invitations. NOTE - Administrator can assist with design work if given enough notice.
2. Food for opening night (DVAA will provide all bar facilities)
· Once accepted, you will be required to meet with the administrator to discuss costs and responsibilities. A gallery agreement and timeline will be prepared for each exhibition.
· The artist must sit the gallery on Saturdays 10am-3pm
1. Preference is given to DVAA members.
2. Preference is given to young and/or emerging artists.
3. Exhibitions should have a sound conceptual basis.
4. Work should demonstrate originality, innovation and have strong artistic merit.
5. DVAA supports community based exhibitions that have strong artistic merit.
6. Experimental works are encouraged.
7. Works in progress are considered especially for DEAF Space.
To Apply You Must Submit The Following
1. A description of the work intended for exhibition (This should be a concise outline of the conceptual premise, no more than 1 A4 page)
2. 4 quality images (preferably jpegs either by email or on cd) of the work to be shown or relevant previous work with Title, media, dimensions, date
3. A CV
4. Preferred gallery and a choice of 2 preferred time slots
Send Your Proposal To
Darwin Visual Arts Association
GPO Box 1618, Darwin NT 0801
Hand Deliver To
Darwin Visual Arts Association
56 Woods Street
Darwin between the hours of 12 – 5pm Wed - Fri
Email to firstname.lastname@example.org